Mike Fly - Director & Editor
Mike has been working actively in the film and television industry since 1999 when he began working on the CBC series STREET CENTS, ending his 7-season tenure as the West-Coast Producer of the award winning series. In 2001, he took part in the NSI’s Drama Prize program and also completed a CFTPA producer mentorship. Before moving to Vancouver, Mike was a junior writer on the CTV series Corner Gas.
While in Vancouver, Mike was a director/producer on the series 969 (RazerTV), Living Vancouver (CBC) and Exposure (CBC) before moving into the digital space, where he created branded content as the Senior Producer for On Demand Production Network.
Since moving to Toronto in 2009, Mike has focused almost exclusively on creating content for digital release, and has become a sought-after consultant because of his expertise in the space. His web series credits include THE IMPROV MONOLOGUE PROJECT, COMEDY BAR (Bite TV), SEXY NERD GIRL, VERSUS VALERIE (IPF), THE CASTING ROOM, SPACE JANITORS (Geek & Sundry), BUT, I’M CHRIS JERICHO (Showcase Action/CBC), BODY BUDS (DHX & CBC Punchline), THE AMAZING GAYL PILE (season 4 - CBC) and directing numerous exclusive comedy shorts for The Second City Network, and most recently for the SmokeBomb series V MORGAN IS DEAD.
Mike’s recent TV credits include directing for GAMING SHOW IN MY PARENT’S GARAGE (Disney XD), directing the Writer’s Room pieces for THE SECOND CITY PROJECT (Global), editing I, MARTIN SHORT GOES HOME (CBC) and BARONESS VON SKETCH SHOW (CBC), for which he received a Canadian Screen Award in 2017. Mike’s most recent shorts include ZAIDE, PRIVILEGE, ONE AFTERNOON, and COME TO BED, which was recently chosen to participate in CBC’s Short Film Face Off.
Mike is a jury member for many awards and festivals including, the Canadian Screen Awards, Canadian Comedy Awards, International Academy of Web Television Awards, TO WebFest, Raindance Film Festival, the Geekie Awards, and the Director’s Guild of Canada Awards. Mike is also a mentor & instructor for the National Screen Institute & TELUS STORYHIVE and teaches a web series foundation course at Raindance Canada. Mike also recently received his MA in Film from Staffordshire University.
BUT I’M CHRIS JERICO Insight Productions - Web Series
AMAZING GAYL PILE La Rue Entertainment - Web Series
ZAIDE Independent - Short
V MORGAN IS DEAD Smokebomb Ent. - Web Content
GAMING SHOW (IN MY PARENTS GARAGE) Disney XD/DHX/Banger Films - TV Series
BODY BUDS* DHX/CBC Punchline - Web Series
THE SECOND CITY PROJECT*^ Shaw - TV special
SPACE JANITORS* Geek & Sundry/IPF - Web Series
VERSUS VALERIE & SEXY NERD GIRL* - Web Series
COMEDY BAR* Bite TV - TV Series
SKETCHERSONS TV* Rogers Television - TV Series
DAVID SHEPHERD: A LIFETIME OF IMPROVISATIONAL THEATRE* - Documentary Feature
BORN THIS WAY Awkward Silence Productions - Short
AWKWARD GOODNIGHT Awkward Silence Productions - Short
COME TO BED (short) CBC Short Film Face Off - Short
PRIVILEGE (short) Independent Short
ONE AFTERNOON (short) Independent - Short
*Also Editor ^Co-Director
BARONESS VON SKETCH SHOW
- Winner, Best Picture Editing, Variety or Sketch Comedy Series, 2016 Canadian Screen Awards
- Nominee, Best Picture Editing in a Comedy Program or Series, 2017 Canadian Screen Awards
THE SECOND CITY PROJECT
- Nominee, Best Picture Editing in a Variety or Sketch Comedy Program or Series, 2016 Canadian Screen Awards
- Winner, Outstanding Achievement, Canadian Series, 2014 TO WebFest
- Winner, Best Direction, 2014 Indie Series Awards
- Winner, Best Direction in a Web Series, 2014 Canadian Comedy Awards
- Nominee, Best Web Series, 2014 Canadian Comedy Awards
- Nominee, Best Digital Media Program/Series, 2014 Canadian Screen Awards
BUT I’M CHRIS JERICHO
- Nominee, Best Director In a Comedy, 2018 New Jersey Web Fest
- Nominee, Outstanding Directing In a Comedy, 2018 LA WEBFEST
- Nominee, Best Directing & Best Web Series, Canadian Comedy Awards